Monday, October 26, 2009

AGO Spiral Stairwell

On a recent visit to the AGO, I went straight for the new exhibitions on display. I was especially fond of Alexander Calder's wire sculptures, and also really enjoyed the theatrical lighting and elegant men and women in Edward Steichen's photographs. I was mostly interested though to see the exhibition Beautiful Fictions. After missing out on the Canada pavilion at the Venice Biennale, I've been itching to see Mark Lewis' video works. There were three on display in the contemporary galleries as part of this exhibition and they were mesmerizing. Another highlight for me was the pairing of several stark and formal empty cultural spaces by Canaida Hofer with Thomas Struth's shots of galleries packed full of school groups and tours (basically my experience of the Uffizi gallery). It was a really nice juxtaposition.

I left the contemporary galleries and walked down the best stairwell in Toronto on my way to the exit. These shots are from inside Frank Ghery's Spiral Stairwell. Larger versions are available on flickr.










No comments:

Post a Comment